A typical year will start on January 1st with our annual Freeze-Fly. The club provides hot coffee and donuts, and the members bring their own ear-muffs and skis. This is strictly a fun event.
In March, we hold our Annual Show at the Northland Performing Arts Center This is a major income producing event for the club, and an opportunity for members and guests to showcase their latest models and to pick up some needed supplies. A grand raffle typically offers 50/50 cash split as first prize and a fully built trainer as second prize.
Other club events held in a typical year:
- Club IMAC is a fun/practice event for members to try their hand at precision aerobatic flying. This is followed in a few weeks by the Columbus IMAC Challenge, a popular two-day regional competition sponsored by the club on Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
- Pylon Races are normally held once, sometimes twice a year. Races are held for trainer pilots and for serious piston-heads. Fun to watch; exciting to fly. Plenty of close-quarters competition.
- Kids Fly at Library Day is a very popular public outreach event. Throngs of kids of all ages come out to the field and fly R/C trainers using buddy-boxes (dual controls) watched over by experienced WMAA pilots. Everyone enjoys a free lunch of soft drinks, hot dogs and chips supplied by the club.
- Columbus Scale Classic Held in mid August , this event draws in pilots and aircraft from the surrounding states and Canada to compete in multiple scale classes from novice fun scale to expert. An excellent opportunity to see some outstanding scale aircraft.
- Our Fun Fly Challenge has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Pilots of all skill levels perform a variety of on-the-runway and in-the-air maneuvers. Teams are set up to effectively handicap everyone from novice to expert. There is good friendly competition, and some laughs also.
- Family Picnic & Night Fly. This is a great early autumn event. Your dues pay for your picnic, and when dusk turns to dark, models of many colored lights take off and brighten the sky. They provide quite a show, and, as with other club events, there are always experienced pilots ready and eager to help the rest of us get started.
- Family Banquet. Every November, members and guests enjoy fried chicken and beverages provided by the club, accompanied by side-dishes, salads and desserts that they bring to share. Held at the church.